It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:48 am

Forum rules

Before posting please read the Forum Rules and the Frequently Asked Questions.

Please also remember to use the Search, before posting any questions!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Advanced Genetics questions 

Post Advanced Genetics questions
Hi all, I didn't see this in the questions forum or FAQ, and much of the forum posts seem to be a bit outdated now anyways.

1. Color determination: Are CB breeds on a full range hex-code color pallet, or do different species have any specific ranges/limits? I'm guessing by what I've seen - including the swarms of smushed-pea-green critters - that its at least a very wide hex range.

2. Albinism/Melanism: Are these coded to work as in nature (occasionally a random mutation that can then be line-bred to preserve), or is it just a color combination that's been intentionally bred for?

I'm also assuming that traits are simple dominant/recessive, though the variety of the color patches on most breeds will keep me busy enough that it's probably best I don't have to worry about co-dom genes or anything like that xD

Thank you!

Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:15 pm
Farmer

Post Re: Advanced Genetics questions
I believe I can only answer you the second answer..
I have played CB for a very long time, and from what I have seen, Albinism as Melanism works in CB just like it works in nature. Sometimes you may randomly get one, but if you breed two Albinos together you'll get albino babies (same works with creatures with Melanism, melanism+melanism = baby with melanism!) !
I used to have a CB account whit only albinos :)

Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:10 pm
Profile WWW

Thanks! It was looking that way, but I wanted to make sure.

I'm still curious about how the colors are coded. I've played games with 100% hex-code genetics (and half the critters on that site were sludgey grey-purple, lol), and games where the colors where within a fixed set on a color wheel. This seems like it might be somewhere inbetween, but if I can breed for purple everything that would be awesome.

Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:15 pm
Farmer

I don't think that all creatures can be purple. I know Beaklings and ScuttleBugs can and the FairyFrogs can have purple wings.
But if you go see the sub-breeds you can see a really big range of colours :wink2:

Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:00 am
Profile WWW
Administrator

CaleCorvus wrote:
I'm guessing by what I've seen - including the swarms of smushed-pea-green critters - that its at least a very wide hex range.
I think what you're seeing here is just the creatures that haven't been fed for a while. The hungrier the creatures are, the closer to that bright green they become.

Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:48 am

Mulberry- Oh, that would make sense! I was feeding a lot of abandoned farms yesterday, haha.

Ok, it was looking like there were some limits to the range. I guess I'll just have to get breeding to figure out where the limits are :D

Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:03 am
Administrator

KianaBD wrote:
I believe I can only answer you the second answer..
I have played CB for a very long time, and from what I have seen, Albinism as Melanism works in CB just like it works in nature. Sometimes you may randomly get one, but if you breed two Albinos together you'll get albino babies (same works with creatures with Melanism, melanism+melanism = baby with melanism!) !
I used to have a CB account whit only albinos :)

I'd like to address this. Melanistic+Melanistic can get an albino baby if both parents carry albino.

Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:39 am
Farmer

hadleyelizabeth wrote:
I'd like to address this. Melanistic+Melanistic can get an albino baby if both parents carry albino.

Does the same happen with Albino + Albino ? If both parents carry melanism.

Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:03 pm
Profile WWW
Administrator

KianaBD wrote:
hadleyelizabeth wrote:

Does the same happen with Albino + Albino ? If both parents carry melanism.

No. Albino parents always will have albino children.

Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:02 pm
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]