It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:01 am

Forum rules

ImageBefore posting please read the Forum Rules and the Frequently Asked Questions.

Please also remember to use the Search, before posting any questions!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Why do people Copy other farmers? / Originality 
Greenhorn

Why do people Copy other farmers? / Originality
Hello Everyone
Writing about this particular subject in the forum has been on my mind for awhile now, so I am going to do a blog type post to get this off of my chest, and hopefully to inspire other farmers.

As a mom and someone who has been apart of creature breeder for over 7 years now, I love to see each and everyone have their own style, unique designs, unique welcome messages, and other things they add to show their love for creature breeder through blogs, youtube videos, drawings etc.

Recently I have seen a HUGE increase of farmers copying other farmers. This has ranged from copying bits of designs from someone else, to copying something someone created to the T. It upsets me to see this because the farmer who originally created whatever it is that was copied, spends a lot of time on their work. And when that gets popular, it is usually copied.

So my question is, where has originality gone? Where has the inspiration, imagination and creativeness gone for everyone to create something unique, and special they can be proud of? I know from experience that it does NOT feel good to have a farm, or something I worked hard on to be copied. If you see a farm you REALLY love from someone else, dont copy that farm! Be inspired by it to create your own beautiful design! Appreciate the work of another farmer, but RESPECT them by not copying something they worked hard on. You do not need to have a ton of FBs to create an awesome design! Visit the Wild to get supplies, ask (nicely & only if you really need it) your friends for donations. The possibilities are endless!

If you have copied something from someone, may I ask that you alter whatever it is that you copied, to make it your own, original work? And if you have had something copied, may I ask that you can just forgive and let it go if you are upset. One of my favorite sayings is "Live and let Live", so everyone, lets just have some respect for others and create our own original work!

I look forward to seeing everyones awesome designs, welcome messages, sales, blogs, videos etc. that are ORIGINAL and something that they can be proud of.

Thanks,
Taylor

Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:54 am
Profile WWW
Farmer

Post Re: Why do people Copy other farmers? / Originality
First of all, do I think we`ve got to keep in mind that copying designs is not a violation to the rules. The issue we`re facing here, is pretty much the same as for the sub-breeds, witch was discussed in the topic "To breed or not sub-breed" less than a month ago.

Like I said above; Creature breeder has no rule that regulates what features to breed nor how to decorate ones farms. (Except from sexually themed designs, or if the design contains inappropriate language). This means you have no actual saying in this matter. All you can do, is place a polite request in their comments field, and hope they`ll come around. -If not, I`m afraid there`s nothing you, or anybody else for that matter, can do about it. -Not the mods, not even the owners, so you`ll just have to ignore what`s happened the best that you can..

With that being said, is it of course a moral aspect to this that I`d assume is imprinted in everyone who`s grown up in the western society. Not only is the copyright Act pretty much the same for all western countries, but it`s also part of our cultural concept of right & wrong. It starts as the toddlers are being told by parents and/or kinder garden teachers not to copy off siblings or the kids sitting next to him/her`s drawings, etc. With that in mind, I`d say many cases of copying, is rooted in a wish to provoke.
The alternative, is of course that they like what they`re copying so much, they choose to ignore the moral aspect. -Often because they consider it less likely they`ll ever get caught. These people might take you up on a request to have it removed out of pure shame, as they tend to be overall good/decent people who know what they did is wrong. But I think the odds of getting them to come around are higher the more politely they`re asked, so to speak. -Be direct, but remain polite.
A second option, is my personal recommendation; Let them know you take their copying off your design, welcoming or whatever as a huge compliment, and leave it with that. -In other words, raise above.

While I`m at it, do I also find it necessary to point out that there`s a fundamental difference between letting oneself get inspired by other people`s creations & copying. Ex; using an effect somebody else has "invented" in their design, is not copying.

Hope this answers some of your questions :)

Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:23 pm
Profile WWW
Farmer

Admittedly, I am not perfect, and have imitated farms from others. But I do not believe that "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" is a good excuse for copying or recreating others' hard work. Having recently dealt with my own issues, it's opened my eyes a bit more to what it truly feels like to have hard work copied and/or stolen. It is difficult to avoid, seeing as it's not a violation of the rules (as Gry said) but it is extremely frustrating. At the same time I try to keep in mind that even though I've been playing this game for many years, I was young when I started and if something pretty caught my eye I'd try and recreate it - as do many young players now. So as irritating as the issue may be, originality is somewhat lost. But with everything we have today even outside of this game; movies, music, tv, books etc. everything is a remix or remake or re telling. So maybe we shouldn't be so easily upset by it? :p

(¸.·´ (¸.·´ .·´ ¸¸.·¨¯`·.¸¸.·
Main Account: www.creaturebreeder.com/farm/view/2131805
Design Account: www.creaturebreeder.com/farm/view/887476
My Story: www.wattpad.com/story/18821163-fate-luck-and-destiny

Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:51 am
Profile WWW
Farmer

I, myself, in my former farms, may have tried to copy others ideas, I didn't make the whole thing like the others, I just tried to make something like the other farms, but by my own and I truly believe that that may help someone that is new to the game to develop his/her creativity, just like it did to me.
For me this is a progress that helps people grow a little bit and gives them the confidence to go out off the box and create their own designs!

- First they go observe farms and see something that they like, when they find it they will try to copy something like what they liked, but while they are doing it they will start adding new things and changing the design to something a little more personal
- Then with time, they will change to only copying some little ideas from other farms
- And in the end they will know that they can create by themselves and they will be doing it, it's basically what happened to me
I know my farms aren't the most fabulous, but if someone tried to copy me I wouldn't mind, it means that they really liked it and I know that it may help them progress.

Of course, that's only my way of seeing it, everyone is free to seeing it their own ways.

Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:13 am
Profile WWW
Farmer

I`ve only come across a very few copy-cats during my (approximately) 7 years at Creature breeder. -And that includes the ones I`ve "read" about in peoples message fields, etc, witch I think indicates that C.B players in general are quiet good at respecting others creations. -Especially since its not mentioned by a word in the rules, faq, etc. (The only area it comes up, is at the contests).
There will always be some people who don`t respect the unwritten rule about not copying other`s creative work. That goes for every area, -song writing/composing, literature, painting, etc. and is practically inevitable.
I understand how most people find this utterly annoying, but I think it`s recommendable to put it in the right perspective.. After all, C.B is just a computer game. Regardless what happens in this virtual world, it wont have the slightest impact on your financial situation, living conditions or life in general. -And even more importantly, the world is full of people with real problems.. I`m not saying you should feel bad for being annoyed, but if a "friendly request" to re-do the copied design doesn`t win through, you should find it in you to "shake it off" & let it go.

KianaBD: As far as I`m concerned, is what you`re describing letting oneself get inspired. That`s not only got to be allowed, but I`d say it`s practically impossible to avoid.. I happen to love it each time I come across a farm where I recognize some feature/effect as "my own".

How to best protect your creations: The best way to avoid potential conflicts as to who is the original creator of what, do I recommend posting a screen shot of each farm you design in the Creative farms -board as soon as you`re done with it.
That way, you`ll always have the ability to look it up, and use the date it was posted as proof. :wink2:

Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:15 am
Profile WWW
Greenhorn

I am so happy that this post has sparked a mature conversation. It originally started out as a post to just get people thinking, and for farmers who have been copied for them to just let it go ( I have seen some nasty arguments over copied things farms, welcomes, websites etc.)

Thank you everyone and Gry especially for your wonderful additions to this post!

♥ ♥ ♥

Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:29 am
Profile WWW
Farmer

Aww.. Thanksii! :blush2: :D

This is an interesting topic, as it`s been an issue among C.B players for at least as long as I`ve been around, as well as what goes here, also apply for copying breeds.

Besides, people have to be on their best behavior in here, or Hadley & I will pursue them with the virtual whip!... (Mmwwwha, ha,ha) :wink2: :lol:

Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:11 am
Profile WWW
Administrator

Gry wrote:
Aww.. Thanksii! :blush2: :D

This is an interesting topic, as it`s been an issue among C.B players for at least as long as I`ve been around, as well as what goes here, also apply for copying breeds.

Besides, people`s got to behave in here, or Hadley & I will pursue them with the virtual whip!... (Mmwwwha, ha,ha) :wink2: :lol:

We sure will! Lol

I was once worried about people copying my farm which placed in a contest, but nobody ever did, so I suppose it isn't such a problem for myself. I once came across a design that wasn't made very well, but I loved the idea... The original creator said if I wanted to copy it, I had to put her name in the welcome message.

I never actually designed the farm. But I have found that a while ago, 0Glorified (Queen?)'s idea of path stones around ponds was popular. I did one of my own and gave her credit, but that was just being nice in my opinion...

Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:48 am
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]