It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:45 am

Forum rules

ImageBefore posting please read the Forum Rules and the Frequently Asked Questions.

Please also remember to use the Search, before posting any questions!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Any rules preventing users from copying farm desings? 
Greenhorn

Post Any rules preventing users from copying farm desings?
Hello! I just noticed that a user is trying to recreate some of my farm designs, although i am flattered that this user admires my work, im a little bit irritated that they're trying to take credits for designs I worked very hard on. Am I allowed to ask the person to stop or nothings preventing people fro copying your farms? I'm just trying to get the facts in order not to create useless drama. Thanks in advance for your replies!

Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:42 pm
Farmer

Post Re: Any rules preventing users from copying farm desings?
I'm not going to say that there isn't a rule in place about this (I'll let the mods answer that, I searched for it and didn't see one, though...)

But, in my experience here on CreatureBreeder...
Sometimes users genuinely have the same idea as another farmer and don't realize someone else made a similar farm. Other times, they might realize that they have been inspired by other people's farms, but they'd be willing to include that in the welcome message if asked. I think it's all about approaching the person in the correct way, if you choose to ask them.

However, you are right: It means that your designs are really good if someone likes them that much! That's pretty awesome. I hope that it all works out!

MarioJimmy
My Designs

Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:06 am
Greenhorn

Its a bit obvious they we're inspired of mines since two of them we're copied , but i'm not going to do a big deal about it since they were not able to recreate the same quality either way (no harm intended whatsoever to the person). Its just not worth the bother. But it'd be interesting to get a real reply since this has been a recurring issue on creature breeder. Thanks again for your reply !

Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:21 pm
Farmer

I wasn't sure what the situation was, so I included the possibility of them not knowing.

But I'd like to know as well. Because someone might recreate it to the same quality. I have also seen this issue posted on the forum before.

MarioJimmy
My Designs

Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:05 pm
Farmer

I`m just a forum moderator, but I think I`ve got a pretty good grip of the game rules as well..

- So to answer your question; No, the game itself has no rule that protects the designers from being copied. But the contest-rules, on the other hand, have a ´paragraph where it`s specified that it`s got to be the contestant`s own work.
To prevent a potential ´word against word`-situation in the future, do I recommend posting your designs here at the forum. That will ´speak`on your behalf`, as it enables you to prove that you had this design at a certain date & time.

- With that being said.. Even though some kind of a copyrights act is not included in the C.B rules, does the law of copyrights act have a pretty strong position in out culture. It`s not only the same for all western countries. -It`s somewhat more than just a law. It`s part of our basic moral values that we carry with us from childhood. With that in mind, it`s my opinion that one`s got to be allowed to tell the person, where the copying is obvious -that you do not approve of their behavior, and perhaps a heads-up, in general terms, in your welcoming, where you tell that your designs are being replicated..
But this requires that the possibility that the similarity happened by accident/coincidence can be ruled out completely.
I do for instance not see the possibility that two people are gonna create practically identical farms twice (lol)..
- But remember, this is just my personal opinion..

- I think you`ve got an admirable attitude & approach towards the whole thing, and my advise, is to just keep following this easy-going track.
I understand the twisted feelings of being flattered on the one hand, and annoyed on the other. When similar things have happened to me, I`ve focused on the fact that this is after all just a game, and told myself to "get a grip", so to speak. Whatever happens in a computer-game, does not influence our financial situation, work, or anything else.
- There should not be all that hard to prove that you are the true creator of these designs, if it should come to that..

- I`ve added a copy of the rules, just for the record. :)

"1. Love your creatures!

2. Be respectful of other farmers and the CB staff. No swearing, harassment, or dishonesty. This includes ACTIVITIESduring role playing; CB isn’t a good place to RP, but there are NO plans to ban RP.
Warnable RP offenses include anything that is illegal, in the US, in real life: violence included. Any sexual ACTIVITY can result in immediate termination.

3. There is NO SCAMMING. You may not ask for anyone else’s password, or advertise a daycare, nursery, hotel, or any service that takes creatures away from their homes. Check the scams page for the up to date list of scams.

4. If you impersonate a member of the CB staff or a CB moderator, you will be immediately removed from the site.

Helpful Tips:

Never, ever give out your password. Creature Breeder will NEVER ask for your personal information. Don’t give out your real name, ADDRESS, school, phone number, etc. Users who are caught asking for this information will receive an official warning.
If you feel like you’ve been harassed or mistreated by another farmer, you can either report them on the forum, or simply block the user in your Settings. The forum can BE FOUND at the top of this page by hovering over the Community link.
Farmers who break the rules will be given a warning by an official CB moderator. You’ll know a moderator by the “moderator” label on their farms. If you receive a warning from someone who is not a moderator, please report it on the forum.
Read on to learn about official Creature Breeder Contest rules.
Note: If farmers CONTINUE breaking the rules after a first warning, it can result in a ban from the site — and in some cases, farm deletion."

Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:06 pm
Profile WWW
Greenhorn

Thank you, that was very helpfully :) I've updated my welcome message slightly towards those measures just to help prevent similar issues.

Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:32 pm
Farmer

I think that`s a great way to deal with the manner.
- You just let them know they`re busted, as well as stating to the visitors that it`s your original without making any fuzz about it. Raising above the nonsense does actually tend to be more efficient than creating a whole lot of noise ;)

Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:43 pm
Profile WWW
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]